Yesterday we scooped up all the caterpillars on the rue and sweet fennel, which we believe are from Eastern Black Swallowtails. It was just in time because the rue, which was once covered in caterpillars, only had five left, and there was not a single chrysalis in sight. The sweet fennel was
Here are a few observations from our first day with the bugs.
1. Caterpillars will fight over food. They do this head/upper torso butting action.
2. The little caterpillars are more aggressive and prone to showing their osmeterium, especially when being poked by a plant stem.
3. Caterpillars don't appreciated being walked over by another caterpillar.
4. Thirteen caterpillars eat a lot of vegetation and make a lot of poop.
5. Two caterpillars in a terrarium are a little cute. Thirteen are a little creepy.