Making a Bead Tree for the Kiln Part Two
I posted "Making a Bead Tree for the Kiln" back in March. It worked pretty wonderfully until my three year old broke it, twice over, by knocking it off the table and onto the garage floor. It is still usable, but with that long span between the remaining supports, the nichrome wire tends to sag.
I decided to build a new one, and it's currently waiting to be fired. One of the troubles with the last design was that it required loading many pendants along two pieces of wire, then having to space them out evenly between supports. The new design calls for four wire segments with just a little less space between posts (2" on center) and a slightly longer span for the wire at 4". The supports are still about 2 3/4" tall from their base. I could have made just two solid walls, but I figured this design required less clay, thus making it lighter, and would make it easier to work with. The entire piece is 8.5" long by 4.5" wide by 3" tall. Again, I have notches at top for laying down the wire and holes in case I want to snake a wire through.
Also new to the design are small triangle wedges at the base of each support. This probably isn't a necessary feature, but since I have two boys hanging around while I work, the extra support certainly won't hurt. It just means that pendants next to the supports will have to be shorter. I'm thinking that the spacing will be great to make wide pendants with two holes.
Thanks for the feedback on the first design, especially from all you school teachers! As soon as this one fires and loads, I will share the results.